My personal style has evolved drastically over the last few years. While I dress according to my mood, my current style ranges from ultra feminine to extremely bohemian. After years of changes, I feel like I’ve finally perfected my look, and I’ve figured out what looks best on me.
While my style has become pretty defined, I am still a firm believer in investing money in pieces that you can wear over and over again. For a blogger, I consider myself to have a somewhat lazy and laid back approach to fashion. I like pieces that are comfortable and easy, and then jazzing them up with a nice jacket, accessory or pair of shoes!
Jacket: Old Navy (Wearing a size XL, also similar here) | Turtle Neck: Marshalls (Similar here) | Jeans: Good American | Shoes: Jessica Simpson (Similar here– on sale now for 25% off) | Bag: Louis Vuitton Speedy 40
I think one of the biggest challenges when shopping for staples is figuring out what exactly you should be investing in. My rule of thumb is to go in my closet and look at the clothes that I always gravitate towards. Those are the pieces I tend to invest in because I know that my money won’t be going to waste.
So what are the staples that I need in my closet?
- A Classic Blazer– Blazers can easily transition from day to night, and you can wear them with multiple pieces in your closet! I always opt for black because it’s my favorite color, but white, navy or camel would also be great investments.
- A Staple Handbag– For Christmas I decided to treat myself to the Louis Vuitton Speedy 40 bag. I had gone back and forth on whether I wanted to branch out to Gucci or stick with the classic Louis, and I chose the latter (Gucci will be coming later 🙂 ). If you don’t want to pay hundreds (or thousands) for a bag just yet, there are great sites like Fashion Phile and The Real Real that sell gently used bags for a great price!
- A Good Pair of Jeans– I can remember a time when I thought that wearing jeans was uncomfortable, but that’s because I hadn’t found the right pair! Over the years I’ve found myself spending a little bit more on jeans since they have become my uniform. My favorite brand at the moment is Good American!
- The Ballerina Flat– I would not be able to function without a good pair of flats. Heels are great, but flats are definitely my shoe of choice. My favorites have been from Sam Edelman (I own these in three colors)!
- Classic White Tee– This is a piece that everyone should have in their closet! I typically wear graphic tees with vintage band/rocker logos, but I always have to have a few classic white tees in my closet. You can wear them on their own, under blazers or tucked into jeans or skirts!
- A Comfortable Pair of Heels– Here’s a thought: don’t buy a pair of $700 heels if you can’t walk in them! You want your heels to be cute, but above all comfort should always be the main goal. There is nothing more embarrassing than seeing a woman struggle trying to walk her her shoes. I don’t want to go into too much detail on this because I’ll be doing a post on my favorite heels this spring!
What are some of your favorite staple items? I’d love to hear your thoughts!